- Limited to six players, one Coach and one Assistant Coach.
- Alternates may attend but only swap in in the event that a team member can no longer play. Swapped out team members can not resume play.
- Members must be entering grades 6-9.
- All six team members play together
- Teams will prepare by reading six chosen young adult books.
- There will be three rounds of increasing difficulty – Easy (Round 1), Medium (Round 2) and Hard (Round 3)
- Twenty-four questions will be asked per round.
- Each round will feature four questions per book. The book from which the questions are being drawn will be announced and grouped together. (For example: “The next four questions will come from The Hunger Games.“)
- Questions will be read aloud by a Battle Official to the whole group. Questions will also be projected on a screen for teams to read.
- Teams are provided an official answer sheet on which to write their answers.
- Teams have thirty seconds to answer questions in Rounds One and Two, and one minute to answer each question in Round Three and any Tiebreaker rounds.
- Answers may take any form: author, title, character, setting, plot, detail or quote identification.
- Sheets are collected at the end of each round and graded by Judges, and are not returned. Decisions of the Judges are final.
- Teams that are caught eavesdropping or using electronic devices will have points deducted.